Friday, December 18, 2009

Songs of the Year 2009

Here is my list of songs of the year. I tried to go with a variety of genres as opposed to whatever I liked…

Check My Brain- Alice in Chains: It’s 1995 again. The 90s are making a major comeback. We seem to have jump skipped right over the 80s and right to the flannel.

East Jesus Nowhere- Green Day: If you are religious, this is not for you. Green Day goes off on organized religion and sings “of blasphemy and genocide.”

I Got a Feeling- Black Eyed Peas: They had quite a year. This song touched a chord. The basic premise is everyone is stressed, so let’s spend all our money and drink.

(If You're Wondering If I Want You To) I Want You To- Weezer: Classic Weezer.

Mean Old Man- Jerry Lee Lewis: Jerry Lee covers Kris Kristofferson and still sounds good.

No Rest for the Wicked- Cage the Elephant: Everyone has heard this one even if they don’t know it. It’s appeared in a few commercials. Interesting that a bunch of white guys around 20 are the ones doing the Mississippi Delta thing.

Oh Yeah- Chickenfoot: Sammy Hagar, Michael Anthony, Joe Satriani, and Chad Smith bring back 80s hard rock. Since they are the only ones doing it, they had a hit record.

Outlaw Pete- Bruce Springsteen: Bruce channels old school cowboy tales into an 8 minute epic.

That’s Not My Name- The Ting Tings: This reminds me of “Mickey” from the early 80s. Who hasn’t forgotten a girl’s name the morning after?

Uprising- Muse: Muse brings back the synthesizer and sings about rebellion. This should be the Tea Party Movement’s anthem. It’s a mishmash of everything that has come before and gets played as bumper music on every sporting event out there.

No comments: