Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Sports Quotes of the Year: 2012


Quote of the Year:

“I personally think he's an idiot."

-Red Wing Ian White on Gary Bettman

Dumb Quote of the Year:

"Is he a brother or a cornball brother?  We all know he has a white fiancée. There was all this talk about he's a Republican, which, there's no information at all. I'm just trying to dig deeper as to why he has an issue. Because we did find out with Tiger Woods, Tiger Woods was like, I've got black skin, but don't call me black. So people got to wondering about Tiger Woods early on."

-Rob Parker

And the rest…

“My husband can not throw the ball and catch the ball at the same time.”

-Gisele

“And Randy, not like any other superstar I've met, he has more quit in him than any of those other players.

-Cris Carter on Randy Moss

"(One fan) actually called me a racial slur to begin the game with. He was the only one I had a problem with. People in Boston don't even do that."

-Carl Crawford

"I remember when I went to the ownership meetings in Colorado in August, and I was walking back from dinner with Tony La Russa (retired Cardinals manager) and we're talking about statistics and about WAR. And, no offense to the player, but when I woke up that morning they had on the (ESPN.com) site that Darwin Barney that day was ranked ahead of Miguel Cabrera in WAR. And I don't mean anything against Darwin Barney, but there wasn't a person in Major League Baseball who on that particular day would have traded Miguel Cabrera for Darwin Barney. So, when people say WAR is all-encompassing, that loses the argument to me right there."

-Tigers GM Dave Dombrowski

"We are not prepared to open another season until we have a new collective bargaining agreement,"

- NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman signaling the start of another player lockout.

"No curfew. I live in the basement. I got everything I need. Home cooking … it's awesome."

-Mike Trout on living at home

"I'm ready to go. I'm Applebee's out."

-Jim Leyland on the end of Spring Training

"I have to go over my carefully prepared ad-libs."

-Vin Scully

"Some of them are zombielike. Some honestly have an empty-corpse quality."

Washington State football coach Mike Leach describing his seniors after a 2-4 start

"People always ask me: 'When is the new Pele going to be born?' Never. My father and mother have closed the factory."

-Pele

No comments: