Wednesday, July 1, 2009

#39 Aretha Franklin

If this was a popular music list, Aretha would be in the top 10 and maybe the top 5. However, the Queen of Soul is relegated to #39 on the rock list. Aretha’s versatility led her to branch from soul to rock to gospel to R&B to pop to jazz. She was voted greatest singer of all time and is the first woman in the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame. In 2009, she created a fashion fad with the hat she wore at Barack Obama’s inauguration.

Rock n Roll Moment: Aretha got into a tiff with Beyonce recently. Beyonce called Tina Turner “queen.” Aretha took it as an insult because Aretha is the Queen of Soul.

Essential Aretha:

I Never Loved A Man the Way I Love You (1967)
Lady Soul (1968)
Amazing Grace (1972)
Who’s Zoomin’ Who (1985)

Aretha’s Top 10:


I Never Loved a Man (The Way I Love You)
Respect
Baby I Love You
Natural Woman
Chain of Fools
Think
Until You Come Back To Me (That’s What I’m Gonna Do)
Spanish Harlem
Rock Steady
Freeway of Love

No comments: