Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Goodbye Bird

I do not remember seeing the Bird pitch. I do remember a picture of him with Big Bird. That is my earliest memory. Whenever you talk to someone that saw him, they get excited. Everyone loved the Bird.

He was the last guy to make the team out of spring training. In 1976, he was the bright light in a city already in decline. He'd talk to the ball, play with the dirt on the mound, and started the All-Star Game. In 1977, he was injured. By 1980, he was done.

Bird was never bitter. He was thankful for his season in the sun. That is why people love him.

I have two other memories of Fidrych. I did see him in an old timer's game. He talked to the ball. On the closer at Tiger Stadium, he was the first Tiger to run onto the field. The crowd loved it.

No comments: